The J-1 General Inspection of Property Contingency of the standard Purchase Contract used by Hawaii Realtors is one of the most critical contingencies in the contract.
When your offer (purchase contract) is accepted by a Seller on a home (or other property, such as a condo) in Hawaii, you have the right to inspect the home’s condition within the time specified in J-1 of the contract. If you are not satisifed with the home’s condition, you have the right to cancel the contract prior to the end of the contingency period. 14 days is a common timeframe to inspect in many of the transactions for home buying in Hawaii.
According to Property Search, it is highly advisable to hire a professional property inspector to do your inspection. It will likely cost you anywhere from $200 – $600 or more, depending on the size of the property. When you work with Delmore Realty, we are happy to help you set up a home inspection appointment for your purchase.
The Realtors Association of Maui (RAM) provides a list of affiliates who provide services in the category of home inspection. Some of the affiliates are also members of ASHI (American Society of Home Inspectors), which is a highly regarded professional organization for home inspectors. One can be an ACI (ASHI Certified Inspector), which is the highest level of ASHI membership, or an ASHI Associate, in which one is still working to achieve the ASHI designation. More information can be found at www.ashi.org, along with ways to search within a radius of your zipcode or your city and state for an ASHI inspector.
Here are some of the Maui inspectors found using the RAM affiliate list of inspectors as well as the ASHI search as of today, 4/3/13 (modified 10/10/13):
– A Sound Mind Home Inspection, Beau Petrone, tel: 808-870-0593 (RAM Affiliate and ASHI Associate)
– Alii Home Inspection, Mark Damon, tel: 808-280-6652 (ACI)
– Barkman Inspection Service, John Barkman, tel: 808-357-8305 (RAM Affiliate)
-CertiTech Inspections, Thomas Lewis, tel: 808-242-7000 (ACI)
-Craig Smith Building Inspections, Craig Smith, tel: 808-572-3009 (RAM Affiliate and ACI)
– Hawaii Inspection Group, Inc., Thomas Douma, tel: 808-879-6000 (RAM Affiliate and ACI)
– Mark Thorman Home Inspections, Mark Thorman, tel: 808-874-3456 (RAM Affiliate and ACI)
– Ray N. Orikasa Home Inspection, Ray Orikasa, tel: 808-268-2306 (RAM Affiliate)
– Renewal Properties, LLC, Douglas Heisserman, tel: 808-572-0004 (RAM Affiliate)
– Signore Building Inspection, Paul Signore, tel: 808-876-0170 (RAM Affiliate and ACI)
J-1 gives Buyer the “… right to (personally or by any expert, professional, or other representatives of Buyer’s choice): (a) inspect the Property or any portion thereof; (b) inspect all major appliances and fixtures (plumbing, electric, and gas) included in the sale; (c) inspect all public records rleating to the Property …” and the professionals listed above can assist with that.
Call us at Delmore Realty at 808-242-1467 when you need help on your purchase and let us take you through all the important parts of the purchase, including the home inspection.
Kimberly Delmore, Realtor-Broker
Certified Residential Specialist, Accredited Buyer’s Representative
Delmore Realty www.delmore.net
email@example.com, direct: 808-298-6655